This Sunday (10 May), Anglicans around the world will be praying for the Anglican Church of Kenya. In this brief post, ACNS introduces the province.
The 39 dioceses in the Anglican church of Kenya trace their history back to 1844 when CMS missionary Dr Johann Ludwing Krapf arrived in Mombasa. He was joined two years later by Johann Rebman. They set about learning African languages before beginning to translate passages of the Bible to Kiswahili, Nyika and Kamba.
The Diocese of Eastern Equatorial Africa was formed in 1884, encompassing Uganda, Kenya and Tanganyika James Hannington was the first Bishop – he was martyred on a journey to Uganda.
Growth, development and reorganisation took place over the decades, until 1927, when a single diocese of Mombasa served the entire nation of Kenya. The first African Bishops of the now independent Anglican Church in Kenya, Festo Olang’ and Obadiah Kariuki were consecrated by the Archbishop of Canterbury in Uganda in 1955.
Bishop Olang’ would go on to become the first African Archbishop of the province, in 1970.
Today, the Church has around five million members across Kenya.
It seeks to be “a growing and caring Anglican Church boldly proclaiming Christ” and to to “equip God’s people to reach out and transform society with the gospel of Christ.”
The Primate of the Anglican Church of Kenya, Archbishop Jackson Ole Sapit, was installed on 3 July 2016. He has a vision to build the church and ensure holistic growth. Soon after his installation, he launched a ten-year strategic plan, which runs from 2018 to 2027, which will drive the Church’s agenda for social transformation in the country.