From the Rt Revd David Hamid, Bishop of Gibraltar in Europe, with additional reporting by ACNS.
On the eve of the third Sunday in Advent, 19 persons from the parish of St John the Evangelist, Casablanca, led the congregation out into the cool evening air of the courtyard, bearing candles signifying the light of Christ.
The 19 were the first persons to be confirmed in the parish since 1996. They came from the Philippines, the USA, Nigeria and Liberia.
The Priest-in-charge of St John's, Canon Dr Medhat Sabry, is encouraging members of his multinational congregation to strengthen their commitment to Christian discipleship, through this apostolic rite of Confirmation.
St John's was the first Protestant church established in Casablanca, Morocco's largest city. Built in 1906 the church serves foreign English-speaking Christians from around the world. It is the oldest church building in use in Casablanca and one of the historical buildings in the city. It is built on land owned by the British Crown.
During World War II St John's was attended by a number of the American Service personnel based in Casablanca. Major General George Patton, a regular attender at St John's, gave the pulpit in memory of those who died in this area during WWII. After General Patton's death, the carved frontal for the communion table was presented to St. John's by his family. Many visitors come to view these historic items.