The Secretary General of the Anglican Communion Canon Kenneth Kearon writes: ‘I want to bring to your attention the request of the Primates and Moderators of the Anglican Communion, at their recent meeting in Alexandria, Egypt, that Anglican Churches world-wide observe 25th February, Ash Wednesday, as a day of prayer and solidarity with the people of Zimbabwe.
‘The primates and Moderators also requested that parishes throughout the Anglican Communion give aid to enable food and other material aid for Zimbabwe for distribution through the dioceses of the Church of the Province of Central Africa.’
Financial aid should be channelled through your own church’s relief and development agency, or alternatively donations (in any currency) can be sent to:
The Anglican Communion Office,
16 Tavistock Crescent,
Archbishop Thabo Makgoba of Southern Africa and the Rt. Rev. Albert Chama, dean of the Anglican Province of Central Africa, had addressed the primates about Zimbabwe and in a press briefing the following day they spoke to the media.
Archbishop Makgoba. "We explained the urgency of the situation - the total collapse of the economy and socio-political infrastructure - and appealed to the primates to assist in whatever humanitarian needs they could provide to Zimbabwe."
"If we don't intervene we will be failing God in terms of 'when I was hungry you fed me and when I was poor you cared for my needs,'
Prayer for the People of Zimbabwe
We pray for the suffering people of Zimbabwe,
Forced to live amid deterioration, disease and despair.
We raise our voices on their behalf,
As truth-tellers we want to proclaim 'This is not good',
It is not how God desires our world to be.
Loving Father, look after the people of that sad but beautiful land,
Care for the little ones,
Comfort the dying ones,
And into this hour of darkness may the light of your new dawn begin to shine.
Prayer from All Africa Conference of Churches
- Pray for the church in Zimbabwe that it takes its appropriate role in responding to the needs of the people.
- Pray for the formation of a government that will ensure delivery of services to the people of Zimbabwe.
- Pray that the food supplies reach the dying people in remote Zimbabwe and that there be enough food for everybody.
- Pray that medical supplies are made available to all areas of the country and save threatened life.
- Pray that there be unity, tolerance, love and mutual respect among all Zimbabweans regardless of political differences.
- Pray that the Lord may have mercy on Zimbabwe and give enough rains for a good harvest which will result in the restoration of human dignity, respect and recognition.
- Pray that Christians worldwide may be inspired by the Spirit to remain in solidarity with the people of Zimbabwe until the end of crisis.
- Pray that the faith of Christians in Zimbabwe may be made stronger by their suffering so that in hope they retain their joy and commitment to Christ.
- Pray that the resources being extracted from Zimbabwe may benefit the whole nation including the poor rather than individuals.
- Pray that God may change the hearts of those who do not put the interests of the people but think of themselves as more important than others.
- Pray that the will of God may be done.