from bishops of the Anglican church of Australia
We understand that the Bishop and Synod of the Diocese of New Westminster have approved the blessing of same-sex unions.
This is a significant and historic break in the teaching of the Anglican Church on marriage and human sexuality.
It stands in contradiction to the tradition of the Church, the overwhelming consensus of the 1998 Lambeth Conference, and the 1997 Statement from the Canadian House of Bishops.
The innovation threatens the fabric of the worldwide Communion and puts in question the nature of our on-going communion with this Diocese.
We call upon the Bishop to not act upon the decision. If he does, it effectively creates a state of impaired communion.
In the event of such an unprecedented move, we call on the Canadian House of Bishops to provide alternative episcopal oversight to those members of the Anglican Communion in New Westminster who, through their faithful adherence to the teaching of our Church, are now in a state of impaired communion with the Bishop and the Diocese.
List of Signatories
- The Most Rev Peter Jensen, Archbishop of Sydney
- The Rt Revd Peter Brain, Bishop of Armidale
- The Rt Revd Bruce Clark, Bishop of Riverina
- The Rt Revd Glenn Davies, Bishop of North Sydney, Diocese of Sydney
- The Rt Revd Ross Davies, Bishop of The Murray
- The Rt Revd Robert Forsyth, Bishop of South Sydney, Diocese of Sydney
- The Rt Revd Tom Frame, Bishop to the Defence Forces
- The Rt Revd Godfrey Fryar, Regional Bishop, Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn
- The Rt Revd Stephen Hale, Bishop of Eastern Region, Diocese of Melbourne
- The Rt Revd John Harrower OAM, Bishop of Tasmania
- The Rt Revd Roger Herft, Bishop of Newcastle
- The Rt Revd Richard Hurford OAM, Bishop of Bathurst
- The Rt Revd Brian King, Bishop of Western Sydney, Diocese of Sydney
- The Rt Revd Tony Nichols, Bishop of North West Australia
- The Rt Revd Reg Piper, Bishop of Wollongong, Diocese of Sydney
- The Rt Revd David Silk, Bishop of Ballarat
- The Rt Revd Paul White, Bishop of Western Region, Diocese of Melbourne